Saturday, October 14, 2006

past presents

Did you know? You can send yourself an instant message in the year 2020. Be part of the Yahoo! Time Capsule.

Almost it intrigues me.
Yea, even so. After the first half hour of laughing at the incredible people who would spend time out of today for tomorrow when yesterday's still beating them around the head, I began to see the benefits. Indeed, and I saw the incredible potential of a time capsule to effectively counter immense boredom brought on by work you don't want to do and people you don't want to see and all the things and people who just aren't around.
An email time capsule that you can not edit to make sound more impressive is a fabulous way to remember your young and (all right, just more) impressionable self.
It's essentially the point of any time capsule:
To see if you've done the things you wanted to.
To see if you're the person you wanted to be.
To see if you're different in any way. In any way that's good. Or bad. Either way, actually. (I guess those last three sentence fragments were rather unnecessary.)
Fourteen years is a long time...
Here is my tentative composition, then.


Hello this is you fourteen years ago. I'm really bored. Hope you're having a better time than I am. Hahahaha we're both having this time at the same time, because I'm from the past, see?? So I'm having a time at the time of writing this letter and you're having a time at the time of reading this letter, see? Hahahahah! It's one of those fun time-thingies whatchamacallits.
There's a calvin strip about this somewhere. In fact, I think I'll go read some comics. Or some peoples' blogs. I'll make you a list so you'll know what you used to read. In fact I'll make you a whole bunch of lists. That's going to be so much fun for you! Books, music, movies, food, blog-reads! You'll have a week of entertainment!! You lucky, lucky girl!!!
And then you can see if you write better now, or, (oh, I love this part) now!
See you. Or rather, be you.
Hahaha, I totally crack myself up.

I must be the only person I can write to as a total dweeb and not worry of judgement. But then again, I'll only know for sure in 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment