Sunday, October 21, 2007

let's make it out, baby

I have occasionally made the mistake of reading certain authors whether or not my brain was ready to receive them - either because I was expected to (or expected not to) or because other people were (or weren't) reading them.

It is only when I read them again - older, and hopefully wiser - that I see much of what I missed the first time around. Certain opinions change - the degree to which I agreed with Rand, for instance. Other authors - Austen, Dickens, James - only improve with age. Perhaps it is the maturity one acquires with time that allows one to appreciate such authors' reading of the human spirit.

I know people who have consumed entire libraries by the time they left high school, but -
Surely sooner is not always better?

No comments:

Post a Comment